Saturday, October 3, 2009

Little Jake's Arrival

It's hard to believe that one week ago tomorrow our little man entered the world. It's been the most beautiful week in this house!

Friday, September 25, we went to my regular prenatal appointment. Thankfully, Gary has been able to go to every single appointment, except one since he was at Fort Knox, because we received some big news while at the OB's office. We told the nurse practitioner, Susanne, that we had thought that I was in early labor since the previous Wednesday night because I had lower back ache that wouldn't let up, no matter my position, and was contracting fairly regularly. She checked me and said that I was making progress! YAY!! Wasn't dilating yet, but my body was definitely moving in the right direction.

She sent us to L&D, not for my "progress", but because the protein in my urine had gone up and they wanted to have me monitored. So, we get there and they strap me to the fetal monitor and take my blood. We had to wait about an hour for the results, and when they came back is when the insanity commenced! The nurse comes back and says that one of 4 blood samples they took came back abnormal. Nothing serious, but enough where the awesome on-call doc, Dr. Crawford, was in decision-making-mode. The nurse says "Dr. Crawford wants to go ahead and admit you. We'll start Cervidil to soften your cervix tonight and begin induction with Pitocin in the morning" Mind you, she said this like she was reading back our order at a restaurant, not like she was about to be changing our life forever. So, I pulled on my big girl undies and got ready for motherhood.


At 5am on Saturday I was given Pitocin in the dosage amount I lovingly refer to as a buttload. By 7am, I was in labor, and it was no joke!! I have a very decent pain tolerance, and am all about using mind over matter and my yoga breathing to get through something difficult, but this was unlike anything else. I made it 12 hours through Pitocin contractions, that were about 30sec-1 min long and about 1-2 minutes apart the majority of the time, before I gave in and got the epidural. Gary was great about helping me get through the contractions, and the nurses kept saying that I had made it further without *help* than about 90% of other laboring women on Pitocin they had seen, but it was still a very hard decision for me to make. I wanted that natural delivery, but you can't plan labor! Thankfully, that Saturday morning was the first day my primary OB was back from maternity leave and I know she'd never let me do something she knew I'd regret.

A few hours after the start of Pitocin I was 1cm dilated. At 2:10 pm, I had not progressed anymore so my doctor, Dr. Johnston, decided to break my water. All in all, I made it to 3.5 cm by Sunday morning. It was a SLOW process. Jake did come down, but not much else was going on. He was clinging to my cushy-uterus!

It got to be about noon on Sunday and if I was 4cm, it was because a nurse was being generous! Dr. Johnston is a big advocate of vaginal births-as am I, so it was obvious when she came to me saying that my options were to wait it out a little longer or have a c-section, I knew it wasn't because she wanted to hurry me along. Since you only have 24 hours from the time your water breaks to get the baby out, c-section was the way to go.

At 1pm, Gary got dressed in scrubs and I was being given a rundown of what the surgery entails.
They wheeled me to the OR, where Gary and I had to part ways while they prepped me. I was very nervous, but the anesthesiologist was AMAZING. She kept rubbing my head and talking to me to keep my mind occupied. The nurses and Dr. Johnston were amazing also; they even had to discuss the super important topic of Taylor Swift during the surgery!---this put me even more at ease. We knew they are professionals at what they do......Anyway, Gary was allowed in soon after and we were underway.

It was about an hour from start to finish. Soon we heard Dr. Johnston saying "Ok, you're about to become parents!!" We waited just a few seconds longer and heard "IT'S A BOY!!!" Gary was ECSTATIC! He came down and kissed me and then ran over to see our new little man. After almost 31 hours of labor we were finally parents.

He is the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. We've always known we're blessed, but seeing our little man smile at us is like nothing else. We are in love with parenthood!

No comments: