Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This is the I-can't-think-of-a-witty-title Title

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about when Jake starts solids. There's so much more that goes into it than just giving your child something other than liquid. Who knew, right? I still stomp my feet & demand a childhood instruction manual, but no dice. Guess I'll have to figure it out on my own...

When Gary & I talk about what we'll take from Jake & apply to our next child one of the things mentioned is letting him/her lead us. That was part of the confusion during his first few weeks. I was under the WRONG WRONG WRONG impression that I had to set the course for the day; he'll eat around this time, try this hour for a nap...these are the thoughts that innocently went through my head. I wasn't hard up about them, but just trying to make sense of things. What would have made an easy baby even easier was for me to realize I didn't have to think at all. Jake would lead me where I needed to be (of course, Gary is included, but I'm going to keep it simple & just refer to myself). Jake would tell me when he's hungry, when he's tired, when he needs a diaper change. It's soo much more simple than I gave infancy credit for. And, I've taken this approach to the start of solids. When Jake was about 4 and a 1/2 - 5 months, he started being completely fascinated with what we were eating. For instance, I heart oatmeal, so if I sat next to him while I ate it, he'd watch me put the spoon in the bowl, trace its path to my mouth, than watch me swallow. Rinse, repeat. He was showing that his readiness for solids was pretty much peaked. Now that he's sitting unassisted, (well, has been for a while) all we're waiting on is for daddy to get home so we can all take part in, what I'm sure will be, good/clean fun ;)

I wanted sooo badly to start him on solids then. But, honestly, it was just because I want those adorable, brightly colored baby bowls with their soft-edged spoons. Can't say aesthetics should play a part in my child's development, or a pretty significant change to his tummy. Gary & I decided to wait until 6 months so that his digestive tract would be more mature. I kept thinking about how I rarely eat sweets, so when I do--like that damn "cupcake" with its own gravitational pull--my stomach will sometimes knot up. That's the last thing I'd want for Jake. The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) is also behind the 6 month start, & is helping me figure out where to go after rice cereal.

This is where I get sort of confused. At Jake's age, it's pretty common to be breastfed 6-7 times a day, & he is. But, now where do I mix in the rice cereal "meal"? When we've moved on from rice cereal, as his big solids introduction, to pureed pears, green beans, avocado...what happens to simple booby feedings? I know when I make the baby food (which is a choice I've made--to make baby food with organic ingredients) you add your breastmilk, so am I supposed to pump a zillion times a day? These are the sorts of questions wracking my brain. So, I checked out my friend's blog & she had a great link for steps/tips on how to make the introduction of solids a simple one. Wholesomebabyfood.com is really helping to ease my mind. It's making sense out of all this & I'm sooo thankful for it!! I want to run out right now & buy all the ingredients to make little Jake's "meals" (can you call a tbsp of food a meal?!), but it's all a waiting game. Well, for our situation, it should be. Our plan is to start out slow; we're going to do an entire week, maybe more if necessary, of only introducing the rice cereal. We want to let his tummy adapt, rather than throw him the infant equivalent of a Thanksgiving dinner. After that, I guess we'll just learn as we go!

So, I know this wasn't the most exciting post, but I entice your return visit to our blog with a promise of pictures of us, Jake, or both covered in foods I lovingly spent time preparing!

1 comment:

And_Then2015 said...

You are such an amazing mother. Truly. Love watching you write about it. Being that i have 3 neices and have watched them grow, i've seen this all before. My sister Spring loved "The Baby Whisperer" and swears by it. LOL. But i love you friend!