Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Let us bow our heads

& thank God that I've finally come to my senses.

Because I love y'all, I'm going to cross into dangerous, jinxing-possible territory and tell you that my child has revolutionized nap time. He's a true visionary. He has made nap time simple. MADE NAP TIME SIMPLE. Hallelujah!

The first month after Jake was born, he slept in the pack n' play, or on us. It was not our ideal situation, especially since our game plan for parenting can be summed up by "don't start anything we'll have to break him of", but we were adjusting to life with a newborn. Sleep was a precious commodity, so sometimes the game plan changes.

Then, I talked to my mom. My madre. My one stop source for parenting cure-alls. She helped me to get Jake to sleep in his crib, at a month old! Sooo thankful for that! At that point, he still woke up a few times a night, but it was from his crib, so we got a "W" in that category.

Then, our next mission was to get him to sleep through the night. I researched how to make this dream a reality and found the word routine used repeatedly. Ahh, routine. How I am so in love with you, routine. How you saved me, routine....Normally, I don't like to turn to the internet on how to raise my kid, you'll always find something on there you're doing wrong; I'd rather let my kid tell me the next step. He's the best one to know what he wants! But, a big CHEERS goes to google.

After making all those goals a reality, I thought about daytime sleep. Jake was about 15lbs, and I remember reading on Alena's blog (whose daughter is beyond adorable!!) about weight limits on baby gear. I hadn't really given it much thought. I found out the swing we have has a 25lb weight limit, so I wanted to begin the transition to napping in his crib before it gets down to crunch time. Sticking with the routine line of thinking, I picked up a sound machine to help signal to J when it was time to sleep. We've used it every night for about 2 months, and it's God's gift!

That part where I finally came to my senses was a couple days ago. Jake wanted to be picked up, so I obliged. Then, he rested his head on my chest & fell asleep in just a few minutes. I stood there in complete awe! It wasn't difficult to put him to sleep before, but it wasn't that easy either! So, after forgetting my goal of getting him to nap in his crib, I thought this was the perfect opportunity. Grabbed the boppy, turned on the sound machine, and laid him down. SUCCESS. Wait, not just SUCCESS. An hour and a half of SUCCESS!!!!! Did the same thing later that afternoon. The cherry on top was that it was during the afternoon nap that I crawled under the covers for some impromptu shut eye!

Now, he tells me he wants a nap by laying his head on my chest when I hold him, otherwise, it's not nap time. I think I sometimes forget that Jake has something to say, without saying anything at all!

Moral of the Story: LISTEN TO YOUR KID

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Wow you did a great job with adding a routine to his life. My friend complains about her baby all the time not sleeping, but you have got it down. That is so cute he puts his head on your shoulder, what a smart little boy. I will definitely think about a routine when I have a baby.