Wednesday, April 28, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Gary & I are friends with this couple. Said couple are freaks.of.nature. And, couple, if you're reading this, I still mean it.

Get this: Not only do they get along with each others parents, each set of parents gets along, too. Have you ever heard of such a phenomena? Maybe you're thinking you've read about something like this in the paper, or seen it on Ripley's?

When we go to their house & extended family is there, I feel like I'm at a museum. I'm observing the subtle beauty that is no judgment, no eggshell-walking, no tension, abundant laughter, & genuine care. If I didn't like them so much, I'd love to whip them with a car antenna.

But, in all seriousness, you can see there's a mutual respect amongst all of them. Oh, how I long to know what that's like. We're so so happy for them, but I think they're definitely in the minority. Which is something we strive for.

When you're over-the-moon happy, & sleep soundly at night, you know you're doing what's right & that's what you hope to pass on to your child. So, when we talk about when Jake comes home with little Susie FutureWife we will accept her as one of our own and, learn about her, not expect her to mold around us. That's what we think Jake would appreciate and that's what the handful of couples we know with severely abnormal in-law relationships do.

I think, a lot of times, parents, &/or adults in general, forget what it was like to be that age. The age of marrying, college, when things are new & adventurous, finding out who you are as an adult. Would it not be the biggest buzzkill to say "Hey, Susie FutureWife, you don't share our blood" & then use a giant rubber stamp to brand her "DENIED"?

We look at Jake & get excited about the great things he's going to do. We get excited about how we're going to learn from each other ( & bewildered that we'll ever actually be upset with him!). We just want him to be happy. That's why we do pretty much anything we do over here!! When Jake's second cousin, Millie, came out to visit she gave us one of the most flattering comments we could ever get. She said "I love being around you guys. You're so happy!" Umm...doiy, Millie! We keep things in perspective & I think that's what helps us live a life we're happy with. Hakuna Matata! :)

We have great friends, great family & so much to be thankful for. So, if we're not besties with Jake's future in-laws, worse things have happened. But, we can always promise to act with grace and, like I heard my dad say EVERY TIME I went ANYWHERE as a teenager, "like I've been somewhere before"

1 comment:

Erin said...

Yup. Freaks. I kind of hate people who get along with their inlaws and the in laws get along with each other. Probably because I am secretly jealous.