Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

When I was younger, I had zero grasp on the significance of this day; all I knew was I got a day off school (hey, we don't all "get it" when we're kids!). But, now I truly get it.

I understand what this day is for, & the incredible members of the military it honors. Those men & women who gave all they could for those of us back home ....they deserve more than one day. They deserve them all.

....

A few years back, I worked in this hole-in-the-wall hardware store, that was helping put me through school. Gabby, who is married to a soldier who served honorably in the Army & is the daughter of a man who's been in every war since the dawn of time..., and I would thank the older men, the veterans, who came in before the sun came up on Saturday mornings, for their service & sacrifice for our country. More often than not, we'd see tears well up in their eyes. We got the impression it was because that wasn't something they were used to hearing.

So, I hope those men & women that made the ultimate sacrifice, & their families, "The Silent Ranks", do know that there are people aware of just how indebted we are to them.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

No comments: