Friday, July 9, 2010

I don't mean to seem rude, but what the eff?

I really don't like to seem rude. I'm totally not a rude person, hence the previous statement. But, there's one thing that's hard for me to wrap my head around....

I've heard, on more than one occasion, a military wife say something to the effect of "Guess I'm not important enough to call. Ho hum" regarding their deployed husband. I know that no one ever truly knows what anyone else is going through, so I'm very careful to not come off as Judgy McJudgerson, but I must say, how anyone can mutter a statement like that is beyond me.

At any given time, there's about 10 bajillion reasons they couldn't call, so, making that "poor me" comment (& I *am* referring to the "poor me's", not ones with actual issues) is, in my humble opinion, a bit much.

Maybe he had to go out on mission. Maybe he was on blackout. Maybe he had a terrible day & hearing your voice & the kids in the background would be too hard at that moment. Maybe he was still at work. Maybe he was selected for extra duty. Maybe his tired ass fell asleep because he worked an 18 hour day (which we all know is supremely possible in the land of the military). Maybe he was supposed to have a 'battle buddy" go with him to use the phones & no one was available....

the list goes on and on and on...

I just think they deserve to be given a break. I know EXACTLY how hard it can be to go a while without a phone call, or an email, or a FB message, or any other social networking system WE'RE lucky enough that they're able to access at all. I know, I've been there. I'm living it this instant. And, yes, I've had some major tears lately because it's starting to add up on me. But, I know he's not over there, sitting next to phone saying "Muahahaha....this is me not calling her!!!" LOL...did you guys get a visual of an evil guy playing with this handlebar mustache, too??

Anyway...

I just know that if, after a day where Jake wanted nothing but to play CONSTANTLY & I am beat, & Gary said "Why didn't you mail___?" or "Why'd you fall asleep and miss my phone call?" (yet to happen...PHEW!), I'd feel a little stabby.

Let's just give our guys the benefit of the doubt. Most military wives I know have never been deployed, so we really can't know exactly what it feels like to be over there.

Yes, I want a phone call THIS INSTANT. But, is it going to happen? Probably not. We just remember to stay respectful of one another. He's never been the, temporary, sole caregiver to our child, & I've never had to leave the my spouse and child behind to go to war

I'm just tryin' to start a movement. It's called "The NON-ball busters of America"

1 comment:

Daily Dose of Dahl said...

Well said! Deployments are hard - no doubt about it! But they are hard on the folks left behind AND the deployees, so it isn't like the hubs is sitting on a beach with an umbrella drink in hand, listening to tunes, eating room service, and gleefully laughing about NOT calling. I've heard similar comments so I know what you mean and thank you for this post! At least we aren't getting shot at or rodeside bombed. Just sayin'.