Friday, September 3, 2010

I get jealous

As an Army wife, I'm so so aware that everyone goes through their ups and downs with communication during deployment. That being said, "communication" can go suck an egg, and I'm still jealous.

My little heart went pitter-pat the first time I got a FB message from my hubalub, especially seeing as how we weren't supposed to hear from him at all during this deployment. Thanks, Afghanistan...go ahead and join in on the egg sucking.

It became relatively routine messages going back and forth and I'd squeal in delight every morning I sat down to nurse J-Bone and opened the laptop to find a surprise full of little sweet nothings. I'd even get phone calls in the once-a-week-to-once-every-other-week range. Happiness.

Now, the situation has changed and I get short little emails (which I STILL thank my lucky stars for), but haven't heard his voice in 3 weeks and 3 days. But who's counting?! Oh, that's right, ME.

I feel jealous that I've heard people say "Oh, we Skype every day" or "He calls every few days" or....whatever else is something we don't get to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy those couples get to talk, but I'd be happier if it were us! How's that for honesty?! :-) Really, we know you guys deserve it, but, it's during those lulls where I keep telling myself "it's ok", but I'm really trying to keep my shit together.

But, even though I know I won't be getting calls, or FB messages, I still try to carry on my routine as if I did. When Jake and I head out for our morning workout, my phone is in the stroller's cup holder, on loud. I leave FB up all day, just in case he can pop up on that little instant messenger. I jump every time the phone rings.

Here's where I interject my own little crap salad to tell you a story to lift your spirits:
I had been drinking a ton of water this particular day, so, naturally, I let myself get to the point where I'm about to explode, then decide to do my business. Well, the bouncy seat is nearby so I put J in there and ....ya know. Wouldn't you know it, the phone rings. So, OF COURSE, I stop what I'm doing, hop over the bouncy seat and run down the hall, little pj shorts at my ankles, and lunge for the phone.



It was a telemarketer.



I don't like having to admit I won't get to speak to my hubby, but maybe it'll make the days go faster? Or make our jogs more productive? I hear hubby-mirages are quite the motivators.

2 comments:

Michelle Murphy said...

I'm keeping the communication thing to myself mostly. I know a few other girls with deployed husbands and I don't want to be the one person that posts something about hearing from my husband that ruins someone's day. I've heard from the hubby a few times since he left, email mainly, which I'm still thrilled about. But I'm not going to be one of those girls that gets to use skype or gets daily phone calls, or probably even weekly calls, and I'm okay with that. I'm also thankful that I don't have friends that flaunt their communication because I would get very jealous too!

Wendy said...

Atleast you'll have so much to catch up on when he gets home! You'll never be one of those wives that says she just never has anything to talk about with her hubby!

When I read your cute story I kept thinking "Don't pee on the baby!" Ha! Sorry...just couldn't help myself! Thanks for sharing!