Saturday, September 11, 2010

We will never forget

I was 16, a Junior in high school. I was listening to the radio in my room as I got ready for school when the song cutout to announce the first tower had been hit. I was only half listening, too wrapped up in last minute before school prep to really listen.

Needless to say, I did not grasp the severity of it. At all.

It wasn't until I got to school, and saw news coverage that I realized the tragedy that was unfolding before us. I was in Mr. Pontier's Psychology class, my last class right before lunch, when I first saw the devastation taking place. We took the whole class hour to watch what was going on on the TV in our room. It was so surreal. The awful things happening couldn't be real. Who would do something like this?

.......................

The tragedy of that day changed life as we knew it, but, could you imagine being a family directly involved with 9/11? Could you imagine dropping your husband, wife, kids, brother, sister, neighbor, your best friend off at the airport that day? Then, could you imagine being a soldier on that day, and the years to come? One day brought such a dramatic change to all walks of life.

I feel like there's something poetic to be said about this day, but, if it's out there, I have no clue where it is. I imagine that all we can do is reflect. We can mourn those lost, pray for those "left behind", and thank those willing to serve this country today.

What happened to our nation will always be an awful, terrible loss, but I hope there can be pride found in being an American, in coming together to support one another, in realizing that it affects us all in different ways. We're all in this together.

New York will never be the same. We will never be the same. After that day, nothing can be the same.

But

We will never forgetI am so, so proud to be an American.

Although, our condolences, thoughts, & prayers don't bring anyone back, or bring our soldiers home, it matters. It matters that we are supporting our fellow Americans. It matters.

Thank you, sincerely, to all our troops for doing what their doing. They're heroes.

Thank you to all those getting ready to enlist. They're heroes.

Thank you to my husband, who is supporting his family in the bravest of ways. I love you.

Where were you that day?

...............
Not to steal from the sincerity of this post, I mean it from the bottom of my heart, but I just wanted to let y'all know that my comments on the blog are all messed up. Some get through, some don't. So, if you're trying to leave a comment and don't see it published, it's because blogger decided I didn't need to see it! Please don't stop leaving those comments, I love hearing from you!! Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Have a great day, my fellow Americans


1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi, beautiful post. I wrote a blog post yesterday of where I was and what I was doing 9 years ago. We will never forget and yes we are forever changed. But I think we have come together as a nation, there has to be something good that has come out of this horrible fateful day.


Heather From Mommy Only Has Two Hands!