Monday, October 11, 2010

12 month check-up, & I'm no longer dying

Well, this post is going to be chock-full of information for ya!

Let's start with me, to save the best for last. I still have no clue what it was that found its way into me to create all kinds of destruction, but it seems to be over. Although I am a little nauseated right now, The Bone and I did just have a Starbucks date with each other and I never go there, so that's probably it. It took a few days of praying for sweet relief, but it finally came. And, I was privileged enough to be able to trade-up from sleeping on the floor to the ol' queen-sized. Here's me thanking Jesus, once again.

Perhaps I should dedicate a post to this, but for a good minute there I had no clue how I was going to swing it. I mean, almost our entire family is in California. Most of my friends have kids. Jake is not completely weaned. I had no help and I had no idea what I was going to do. I mean, I'd sit there and cry while trying to feed Jake his dinner. I was sure I wasn't going to make it through the meal, then who would wash the boy? Put him to bed? Get crap done around the house? As much as I want to make Gary proud, that's how close to death I felt. I was barely able to carry myself, yet Jake's 20lb tush. It was a lonely few days, especially since he started reacting to Gary being gone with ALL-DAY SCREAMING. But, we totally made it. And, I'm going to have a shirt made, with my face on it, that says "I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR", or "Suit Up!". Whichev. We really like that show.

OK, onto Jake. His stats:

height: 28in (would have sworn on everything that the nurse told me he was 28in at 6 months. But, I guess that would have made him the Yao Ming of babies)

weight: 20lbs

dome circumference: 19in

He hasn't hit his growth spurt yet, but the nurse practitioner (whom we L-O-V-E) is almost giddy with his development. Yes, we'd all like to see him a bit bigger (although he is growing along *his* curve just perfectly), it'll come in time, but his interactions, his physical movement....she's in love with all of it!

And, I guess there's a silver lining to Jake not having hit his growth spurt yet; he's getting serious mileage out of his clothes. If it weren't for his cloth diapers giving this baby some back, he'd still be able to wear 6-9 months.

But, the weight thing. I don't get it! So, yes, everything is going just perfectly for him, which is great. But, what I want to know is how he doesn't weigh so much more. Not because I'm worried, but because I feed the kid nonstop! It seems like all we do is have meals around here. And, he doesn't eat small amounts. A sample breakfast:

*pureed pineapple
*cheerios, dry
*oatmeal
*eggs
*juice

I guess we are that active and just haven't realized it! I thought, for sure, he'd weigh more. But, if it's good for him, it's good for us!

And, he really is growing up! He walks by himself, using furniture around the living room, shares his food and sippy cups, can be laid down awake & drift off to sleep on his own, is standing more and more on his own, has about 3 teeth ready to come through, loves Spongebob, LOVES to dance, is so friendly with everyone he meets (except certain people, which speaks volumes to us about them...) ....

I had about 12 things ready for this list, but I'm having trouble remembering them! But, while Gary was here, as always, he wanted to make sure anything gets done that I'd need help with, so Jake's crib mattress is lowered, AND he's in his big boy seat. He's no longer a wee bebeh.

Oh yah, Jake has started cow's milk! I knew I had to start it after he turned a year, but didn't have a plan how I'd go about it. So, I used it in his oatmeal in the morning, then gave him a sippy cup-full at dinner. He loves it! He had his 2nd cup tonight with dinner and just loves it. He's a pro!

I'm sure I'll remember everything I wanted to say about him after this is published,but, for now, a little blonde lad is looking to cuddle with his mama.

1 comment:

Maytina said...

The cow's milk switch always does it for me. Like, no more wee baby when that happens. So glad he loves it!!