Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Aren't you impressed?"

To put myself through my first couple years of college, I worked at this hole-in-the-wall hardware store. It's the kind of place where you're on the first name basis with 90% of the customers.

It was a really great place to work, a very homey feel, but we did get the occasional freak of nature. The old men that wanted to take you home, or those that wanted to tell you every single detail of their lives, or, my personal favorite, the high schoolers that would head over to the plumbing department to pick up the ever-important Friday night beer bong parts. It was always an adventure.

One day, this couple came up to my register. The counter was low enough where the woman was able to comfortably put her purse on the counter where all their items were.They were probably in their late twenties. About halfway through their purchase, the woman looks at me and says "Aren't you impressed?" I looked up at the husband for some sort of hint as to what the hell she was talking about. He just stared at me, blankly, with a touch of embarrassment.

She says "My purse. It's Dooney and Burke". I was in complete, and total, awe that someone would actually look another person in the eye and utter words like 'aren't you impressed?'. After, what I'm sure was, a 5 minute pause on my part I shrugged my shoulders and said, as politely as possible, "It's just a purse to me"

Have you come across people like this? How do you react? I always feel like it takes me forever to respond because I'm so blown away such a question was posed in the first place!

She wasn't very happy with my answer, and was even more unhappy when her husband followed my response with "Yeah, that's what I say"

To be clear, I want one brand name piece. For my whole life, I want one piece that I will use until the last thread comes loose; a Louis Vuitton purse. Ooh, how I love them. I'm a big-purse-girl, too, so this could be a top contender.

But,

I'd never, in my whole life, go up to a perfect stranger and ask if they're impressed with me! If that woman had approached me with excitement over her new purchase, as opposed to expecting me to gravel at her feet, I would have jumped on board. In addition, it would still be just a purse. Nothing I'd need to make me truly happy, or that would stop the sun from rising the next day.

I guess that's something that I'll have to put on my list to teach our kids: Just say no to douchery...and materialism.

3 comments:

Tiffany Noth said...

that's pretty funny! I probably would have started laughing.

Daily Dose of Dahl said...

I'm about to embarass myself here..hehee. The credit union I used to work for had offices in NJ and one in NYC. The marketing/business development department was trying to expand into the NY market, so they planned a week long trip to make presentations and try to find new companies to add to our membership field. They wanted someone from the support services side to go, and I was the lucky gal. (Woo! A week all expenses paid in NYC?!? Sa-weet!) On the cab ride to the hotel, I was riding with the VP of Marketing and Mortgage and they were talking about this great place to find imitation Kate Spade purses.

Me: Who's Kate Spade?
::crickets:: and looks of stunned amazements on their faces. I still blush when I think about it, but I honestly had never heard of her. Louis Vitton? Yep. Burberry? Uh huh. Prada. Love it! YSL? You betcha.
But then I hadn't heard of Dooney and Burke until I saw them in the BX in Germany, so there ya go....

And I agree. It's just a purse. Unless it remote starts your car or does your laundry, it's just where I keep all the stuff that won't fit in my pockets.

jenny cruger said...

Wow, what an odd thing to ask someone!?! I can't even imagine asking someone that and I have a few purses that fall into that category (Louis Vitton passed down from (okay, I groveled for) my grandma, Kate Spades, Coach, etc). How strange!