Monday, November 15, 2010

Old Wives' Tales

I don't know why, but lately I've been thinking about how all the Old Wives' Tales I heard while baking J.

Actually, I know exactly why.

When you're 4 days late, and you can pretty much set a clock by your nature, you might find yourself thinking about this topic. Oh yeah...and because, other than Jake having thighs so adorably chubby I could chew on them, I see very little semblance of baby in him so I s'pose I'm thinking about how he's evolved.

I think the most popular one we heard was about belly shape; if you were round you were carrying a girl, if you carried low you have a boy. I am proof that not all Tales are true:


When I was pregnant, we had all kinds of fun with Old Wives' Tales because we never found out Jake was a 'Jake' until D-day. So, the conjecture was hilarious (although, it did lose a bit of its charm when every cashier at Walmart knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what you were having). At our baby shower, it was GIRL GIRL GIRL. But, I looked back to my extensive research (suffice it to say graduating before we had Jake left me with a lot of time on my hands.) into Old Wives' Tales and knew (who needs an ultrasound tech? Certainly not this girl) that when you're incubating a little girl they steal their mother's good attributes, but, and I am so, so grateful to say, I definitely had that glow. Probably sweat. Whichev. Either way, I'm so thankful I didn't break out like pregnancy hormones can sometimes arrange. Thus my conclusion we were not having a girl.

Next, I knew we were Team Peen because I didn't have morning sickness. Sure, I'd feel nauseated if I had to get up real early, but I'd chew gum and that'd be the end of it. Believe, I'm still not done being grateful for that.

Oh, and hello, I mean why get an ultrasound? Simply add your age at conception to the number of the month you conceived. Even, it's a boy (23 and 1 for us), odd it's a girl. Fool proof.

I'm about to admit something so lamesauce: I did the Drano test. Hey, we had some around the house, Gary was at work...what's a girl to do?! For those that don't know, if you mix Drano with your urine and it turns green it's a girl, blue it's a boy. Mine didn't do anything. Guess I couldn't handle all the science. And, yes, I totally used a disposable cup.

And, the shape of the mom's face. UGH. I mega-loathed when people would stare at my face toward the end. My face did get more round, I was not happy about this. Anyway, it makes me feel all icky when people stare anyways, but, when they're studying you to tell you something about yourself because they "know"? I so wanted to play the hormone card and go off on them, but I'm not that good of an actress. Actually, I'd make a horrible actress. Way to self-aware, but that another post for another day. Just stop staring at my round dome!

Did you mamas that found out still hear these hard, who-needs-modern-medicine facts thrown your way? I'm dying to know if any of you didn't find out!!

I don't think anyone can deny the fact that Old Wives' Tales are fun, mostly because of how outrageous they are, but I'm not even sure people don't find out the sex anymore! During our childbirth class, we were the only couple, out of TWELVE, that didn't find out. People couldn't believe we were able to wait.

What? I didn't have morning sickness, so we were having a boy.

Doiy.

4 comments:

Tatted Mom said...

So, I honestly can't remember any wives tales that proved true or not true, but, my son was a "girl" up until he came out. 2 ultrasounds (one at week 39), and we were told at both of them that we were having a girl. I argued with the tech, too. The 'girl' parts he was showing me looked like a butt to me, not, um, further north, if you know what I mean. But no, he said he was 98% sure we were having a girl. Hmph. So much for technology.... =)

Daily Dose of Dahl said...

I wish I had known you when I was preggo. I was convinced my son was a girl and my daughter was going to be a boy. I didn't have morning sickness with either, thankfully, but I heard mixed guesses from the Walmart crowd. Mostly I heard "WOW. You look like you are about to pop!" Which was actually true with my son, because he popped out weighing 11 lbs 15 oz. I still don't like to think about it.
All the things I tried to do so I could tell the sex (never heard of the drano one) gave me mixed reviews. I think I was the problem on those, though. But we did the pencil and string one, the sweet or salty one, and that's all I can remember...but I do remember with both ultrasounds asking the techs if they were SURE about the sex..they were and they were right. So I don't guess anymore because my 'tell the sex' radar is all effed up.

Tatted Mom said...

Hey, it's me again. =) Just wanted to let you know I've listed you as one of my favorite blogs (The Versatile Blogger Award). Hope you come by to check it out and accept it!!

http://tattedmom.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-first-award.html

Mama Hen said...

This is the cutest post! Yes, people like to put in their opinion about things even if we do not want them to. Especially when it comes to babies. The Drano test is one I have not heard. I hope you are doing well! Have a great night!

Mama Hen