Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I could've survived on the prairie.

...except for the whole loving electricity, shopping, and not contracting malaria, or whatever disease playing the Oregon Trail in elementary school taught me about, thing.

Well, since that title is only true in the sense that I really dig being self-reliant, I'll get to the pictures :-)


Apple butter!

I don't think I'll ever stop making this heavenly nectar. Gary and Jake uber love it! We use it with peanut butter on sandwiches, a little on waffles, on biscuits...it's quite the chameleon! I always end up giving some of it away, but, even so, I can it (LOVE CANNING!) and we still have it around for about 2 months! Needless to say, we don't buy jelly, or preserves or any of that stuff!

$15 bread maker!!!

I was perusing campbellyardsales.com, just because, and came across this gem. For $15, I got an automatic breadmaker and a recipe book! Hello, deal! Not to mention, the woman I was buying it from is a widow and trying to downsize her belongings so she can work on moving on. Anything to help a worthy cause. I've never made bread, but if I'm making all kinds of other crap from scratch, why not?! :-)


The arsenal

While looking at Pinterest, just because it makes me laugh!, I came across a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent. It had crossed my mind to make my own dishwasher and laundry detergents, so this picture gave me the kick in the captain's quarters I needed! Remember, I'm a little on the crunchy side because, to me, it just makes sense!



Doesn't look like much; I only made the exact amount the respective recipes called for. I want to make sure I like the results before I make a big, fat batch! Not to mention, I think this is a gold mine----> I may not have made much but when you only need to use 1-2 tblsp's per load, that's a huge savings, it'll last forever!!

Oh, and it was all double-whammy up in here because I had to grate some Ivory soap for the laundry detergent and it made my hands soooo soft! Wait...triple-whammy? Saving oodles + self-reliance + soft hands. HOLLA!





A small sampling of our cloth diapers and cloth wipes. That bottle is full of cloth wipe solution, so that Jake's hiney still gets clean without the use of wipes. It was AH-MAY-ZING during deployment to never have to run out and get diapers, or wipes. Such a relief! Plus, that cute fluff is almost too much to bear! The only problem with cloth diapering is that you always want more because they're so cute! We have plenty of diapers to last through him, and our future nugget(s), so we don't need any more, but it's hard to resist!


I probably seem like some sort of hippie-chickie, but, I swear, I don't bend to knees and offer any chants Mother Earth! I just really enjoy being self sufficient/not needing to run out and grab something I can remedy myself. I can't even describe the savings, either!

Plus, I feel like I go through dishwasher detergent like I go through Diet Coke, so it's time to start making that biatch myself...


No comments: