Thursday, August 18, 2011

My kid's the next Picasso.

Yesterday, for some reason, it popped into my head that Jake should fingerpaint. And, since my hair is in dire need of a doing and I'm sick of wearing hats, I took to the trusty internet for some fingerpaint recipes.

Found one!

It took longer for the initial ingredients to gel than the recipe said it would, so Jake would be napping before getting a chance to go crazy with some paints. Of course, he was none the wiser, but I was put off! I wanted to see my kid fingerpaint! ;-)

Anyway, so I finish the making the paints, and it was soo easy!







As soon as post-nap snack was over, I went all Black Eyed Peas and got it started in here. I showed Jake what was in the bowls, and told him we were going to fingerpaint! YAY!

I put his hand into the bowl and he lit up. He liked feeling the paint between his tiny fingers. Then, I took his hand and showed him how he made the art on his paper. I was annoyingly enthusiastic. He looks at me, smiles, and sprints off in the other direction.

I managed to catch him before he got too far, thinking he just wasn't sure what the heck was going on, and went for round two; stuck his hand in the paint, art'ed it up on the blank sheet of paper, and then he looked at me, smiled, then looked at his hand like "What the deuce?!?".

We took a Baby Einstein break and, ever the determined mama, tried again with one of my paint brushes. He liked it, but kind of just kept giggling like he couldn't believe how wild his mama was!

I waved the white flag.

Not to give the wrong impression, it WAS fun and he did enjoy himself, I'd just hoped he was going to like it as much as I did! But, he'll like it when he's ready :-)

Here's his first masterpiece:


All you parents out there KNOW this, and everything he ever brings home, is definitely a masterpiece! :-)

You might have noticed we painted inside. I'm not insane in the membrane! Dish soap is part of the recipe, so it just wipes right up! Best recipe ever!

No comments: