Friday, November 4, 2011

Quad Eff!

Finally, amiright?!?

We've been here barely over a month, and in our new house about 3 weeks, and I think we've finally gotten into a swing-of-things!


:::finger guns:::


Gary's gone, so I don't cook as much because the meals are stretching that much further, but I think we've got some pretty effin' good things on this effin' post. Get it? Triple Eff

::: creepy winking :::

It has been so chilly here so I've developed a serious boots + leggings fetish! I adore this outfit. Uh-Door. Fo' shizzle. I have no idea why, but I feel very snow bunny in it. Although, I've never worn anything remotely like it when we've gone snowboarding. People? I don't have to have reasons; this is my blog ;-)

This little sweater is from Vanity; I completely recommend them! They've got some super cute stuff and give out coupons, and let you keep 'em!, like nobody's business. Normally, I wouldn't wear such a light color near my face, because I'm the definition of fair-skinned, but I dig it with the blue tank underneath.

I swoon for these boots. I got them at Target and, to quote Monica, 'they go with shirts, with dresses, with pants'. Name that episode. Go!

This may seem like an awkward picture for something that's supposed to display an outfit, but my favorite part of it is the big belt! And, I got to wear it with the boots. See? Fetish.


I'm trying to branch out with what I do with my 'do. I get compliments when it's just down, so I think that's why I tend to leave it, but it's getting too boring! So, here's another waterfall braid; I think I'm getting better at it!

Madre---stop looking at the background of the pictures to try to figure out our house. Wait for the house tour.

I love this little headband from Vanity! Definitely different, but it's good to shake it up, salsa-style.

Like I said, trying to do new stuff with my hair. If you can tell, I did two braids on either side of my face, just to try it. What do you think? Love it or leggo!?

FOOD!!!!

Sometimes I forget to take in-the-process-pictures, but G-unit loved this dinner. Baked chicken, mashed sweet potatoes and sauteed veggies. It was really very flavorful, and healthy!

For the chicken, I place how ever many chicken breasts as my dish accommodates, season with salt and pepper, maybe a little oregano, and put a couple dollops of butter in there. I bake for, like, 2 hours, at 200*. Apparently, the cooking at such a high altitude, like the one we're in now, is supposed to be altered; I haven't really found an issue. Maybe it's because I tend to cook things slowly anyway? I've found that the slower something cooks, the better it tends to turn out. It comes out super juicy and very, very tasty.

The sweet potatoes are boiled, mashed, and mixed with some milk, some butter, and some brown sugar....not too much though! Sweet potatoes have amazing vitamins so I prefer to just add some flavor without drowning out the healthy aspects!

If I had to pick a favorite meal for the boy it'd be this: Salmon and sweet potatoes. He gobbled up the veggies, but I wouldn't say he loves them. Salmon is super amazing for brain and eye development, so I try to feed him some pretty frequently.

I marinated the salmon for about 6 hours and cooked it the same time I cooked the chicken (but in its own dish, obv), and cooked it for about as long. I did check it frequently, so as to not dry it out, but it turned out great! We got 3 meals for him out of one piece of salmon!

Homemade hot cocoa!

We had our first snow day, since we've been here, last week so I thought it fitting to make hot cocoa!

Salt, sugar, and unsweetened cocoa

Added to very little boiling water. I think it was 1/3 c boiling water, so I just put it in the microwave and then added it to the pot.

Add milk


Voila!

Hot cocoa that was rich, but not too rich, and a perfect way to stay inside and enjoy the falling snow :-)

And, our second snow-day inspired food: Pineapple chicken and sweet potatoes

3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped.
I prefer to keep the skins on, because of the great vitamins, but the recipe called for them to be peeled. Plus, it's not like sweet potatoes aren't amazing sans-skin!

Flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, onion powder and black pepper

That mixture coats each chicken breast. I used 4, the recipes says 6, but I think my slow cooker is on the smaller side. And, placed on top of the sweet potatoes

The sauce: condensed cream of chicken soup, pineapple juice, mushrooms, flour, and brown sugar

Poured onto the sweet potatoes and chicken in the slow cooker. It can be cooked on 'low' for 8-10 hours, or high for 3-4. I cooked on high for just under 3 hours because my slow cooker is a freakin' supernova.

You guys? So good. Like, I-just-salivated soo good. Jake absolutely adored it! It's nice and healthy and served atop white rice that, literally, took about 5 minutes to make. There's "WIN" all over this meal, ifidon'tsaysomuhself

And, because the snowy day means you need a warm desert in yo' belleh: homemade peanut butter cookies!

The great thing about cooking everything from scratch is that, on days when the weather doesn't permit or you just don't feel like getting out of your bum-clothes (chew on this: Home is a place where you can be ugly and enjoy it), you almost always have ingredients for something you'd like to whip up. I want to make biscuits and gravy on a day with icy roads? I have a 10lb bag of flour, so I'll just go whip some up! Plus, it's 3 million percent cheaper. That's math, yo.

I greased the baking sheets extra because, not only do things tend to stick to these sheets, it's the first time I've baked cookies at this altitude, so I wanted to play it safe. I'd like to say they turned out pretty perfect---->


Hope I came back to these posts with a bang! Oh, and if you'd like me to be more specific, on measurements and such, lemme know! I like to try new recipes all the time, so if there's something you want to try I'll be happy to help a sista out! That's not sexist. That's just reality.

Happy Friday! :-)

No comments: