Monday, March 26, 2012

My main squeeze.

The husband got back from his 2 week training in AZ on Saturday, just in time for his birthday the following day :-) When you're a military family, it's a pretty big deal to be able to spend any birthday, or holiday, together so we were pretty pumped!

We started our Sunday off with church followed by a very tasty lunch at Red Robin. Even though I had planned an uber delicious dinner spread, it was still nice to eat out together again!

We got home, put the boy down for his nap, changed into comfy clothes, and camped out on the couch for movies. It was so simple, yet unbelievably fab'. It was so nice to do absolutely nothing, but hang out. And, it meant even more because, with deployment coming up, it's not like we have oodles of time to enjoy lazy Sunday afternoons.

It was perfection.

Gary's birthday dinner plan was this: appetizer--spinach & artichoke dip, main course--chicken, shredded cheese, avocado, homemade caesar all within spinach wraps, dessert--homemade birthday cake. We ended up skipping the main course because we were too full! But the wraps will be on the blog this Friday :-)

Cheesy Spinach & Artichoke Dip
(per the uje, under the Recipes tab!)


I added a tiny bit of extra garlic because we dig it.

So, you're supposed to use shredded parmesan, which I didn't realize until 10 minutes ago when I typed out the recipe for the Recipes tab. Eh...didn't matter anyway! It's still delish!

Artichokes are so nasty and not the best smelling when you have a super-sonic-pregnant nose, but I would never omit them from this recipe!

I'm not going to lie to you, once you scrape it into your baking dish it's pretty tough to not eat it cold. But, it's totally worth the wait to bake it.

While the dip was baking, I made pita bread chips...and they're the simplest thing in the universe. Cut up pita bread, place on baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and season with oregano. Put into the oven for as long as you want...the longer the more chip-like they are. I used the heat from the dip and cooked them about 20 minutes to make them crispy. Total taste-bud party.


Post-baking, the only reason I moved them to this dish because it's undeniably adorable. About $8 at TJ Maxx!


So warm and cheesy and fabulous. Although the idea of food right now, pretty much, makes me want to vom all over town, it's still really good!


I made the cake batter (I never add the shortening from that recipe) and divided it into separate bowls to make it a colorful cake!



Unfortunately, when I was picking up the ingredients before husband got home, the google box on my phone wouldn't work at the commissary so the frosting is store-bought, but here's the recipe I would've used.


All in all, a great day we were so grateful to be able to spend together. J could not have been happier to have his daddy home :-) And, we've had our last birthdays as parents of one :-)

2 comments:

So Very Domestic said...

So cuuuuute!!! I totally love the cake!

Your pre deployment posts always make me teary. I'm a suck during business trips so like, you are my hero.

<3

So Very Domestic said...

So cuuuute!! I love the cake, and I love that you work so hard in the kitchen for your fam and that you are happy to chill with your honey. That's what it's all about!

Your pre-deployment posts always make me teary. <3