Friday, May 4, 2012

Babies don't keep.

Everyone thinks Jake is at least 3, because of how tall he is, so we get a lot of questions about whether or not we're potty training. We're not yet. We've bought ourselves time with getting knocked up again!

A lot of people have opinions and a lot of people think they need to force them on others. Whether it be in the blog-world or real life, you'll find people like this. I strive to never come across like this. Of course we have ideas, and beliefs, and opinions, but they're our own. And, chances are, you have all those, too. No reason we can't coexist ;-)

I say this because the decisions we're making aren't a passive-aggressive commentary on anyone else's choices. To each their own, brotha!

But, in getting pregnant and thinking about the new, tiny person I'm growing, I've also started seeing Jake in a new way. I've realized that he's still a little guy, too. He still deserves to grow and thrive on his own time.

So, if I hadn't gotten pregnant before Gary deployed, I had definitely considered getting the potty training going. It just seemed about that time, right?? But, I've really started to see that he's not going to be a little guy much longer. There's really no reason to rush him. I vow that he'll be potty trained by the time baby arrives, because he will be just older than 3, but he has his whole life. No need to happen this very second :-)

Kind of the same mentality with the toddler bed. He's still in his crib because he's only tried to climb out once that I know of. Otherwise, he's a jumper. That's actually how we know he's awake in the morning; we hear him getting serious air and squealing with too much excitement! But, we haven't transferred to the toddler bed because it just doesn't feel right, yet. Not that we're trying to keep him little in how we treat him; we're just trying to let things happen naturally. Because, babies: they don't keep.

He has his whole life to be in a regular bed and to use the big-boy potty, but I want to let it happen organically to us. He's soon going to be this big brother, who's not the freshest one in the house anymore. He's showing us more and more that he's getting ready to use his potty. He tries to get us to take his diaper off when it's wet; he points to his diaper when there's a deuce. But, only shows interest in his potty chair  if he's taking it apart.

There's going to be so much change coming up. He's at the age where's he's going to be very aware when Gary leaves again, which throws a big stick in our daily spokes. Then the new baby's going to be here. All this just makes me realize my first baby isn't going to stay small forever. We're coming up on a time where he won't want to cuddle on the couch with me, or run to the door when he hears his daddy come home, or give out so many kisses.

We'll get there. There's no way around it. I just want him to let us know when he's ready for the big boy bed and tiny little undies. After all,

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.



April 2011

April 2012

1 comment:

Kelli MW said...

Good for you for going at Jake's pace! We did that the 2nd time around... and we're a much more relaxed & happy family because of it. BTW, Congrats on baby #2!!!